Being the champion of the people that I am, I braved the cold winds and slick roads of North Tampa to attend the 2017 USTA Captain’s Appreciating meeting Dec. 14 at Carrollwood Country Club. There, the captains were lauded for their efforts — I received a 7-minute standing ovation, it was a little embarrassing — and door prizes were handed out a
nd new rules for 2017 we’re unveiled.
Also, a list was handed out of all the Hillsborough County Region 3 league champions in 2016, and guess what?
Hunter’s Green won more than anyone else.
In all, Hunter’s Green won EIGHT league championships to advance to sectionals in 2016, with Cheval in second with SIX and BSAC taking third with FIVE. Bravo.
Hunter’s Green men had its 6.5 (Cotey), 7.5 (Cotey) and 8.5 (Zeedyk) 18-over combo teams advance, while the women had their 50-over (Phuong) and 18-over (Phuong) 6.5 combo teams advance.
In mixed doubles, the 18-over 6.0 team (Hunter) and 40-over 7.0 (Cotey) and 8.0 (Romero) teams also advanced.
The 40-over 7.0 mixed team had the best finish in 2016, advancing to the semifinals of its sectional. And obviously, here at the Green Machine Blog we are quite pleased to say that of the eight teams to win league titles last year, five of them were Green Machine associated (including the original Green Machine 6.5 combo team).
Here’s what you missed:
- Barb Johnson, who used to run the USTA local leagues in Hillsborough with Alan Williams, was recognized and received a gift certificate of some sort.
- The calendar for 2017 was revealed.
— In brief, mixed-40&over and Adult-18&over start in January, along with Adult 55&over and 65&over leagues.
— In March, Adult-40&over leagues begin.
— In April, it’s time for Mixed-18&over.
— In June, Combo-18&over begins.
— In August, Adult-18$over Early Start begins.
- Also in August — Tri-Level leagues!!!!!
For those unfamiliar with try-level, teams play three lines of doubles. Depending on how your particular league is set up, it would be 3.0-3.5-4.0, or 3.5-4.0-4.5. It’s a great idea, bringing together wide swaths of talented players who wouldn’t otherwise team up. Alan did say that there are no sectionals for this league in Florida, but there is an invitational at the end.
- Ratings for players 65&over who are moved up will be published, but automatic appeal will be granted upon request.
- Did you know if a league has 11 teams in it, TWO teams get to go to sectionals? It’s true. I think the 4.0 men’s league and the women’s 4.0 day league both have 10 teams, so Alan is on the hunt for another to get two teams qualified for sectionals.
- The only reason I attend this meeting, other than the selfless giving of my time to my tennis pals that I am so widely and richly known for, is the chance to win two tickets to the Miami Open. AND GUESS WHAT???
You got it — I didn’t win! Again!
That was the bad news. The good news, however, is that unlike the previous three years, I did not throw a fit and grab the basket of raffle tickets and throw them against the wall before being escorted out.
- There was more good news in the drawings.
Phuong won an ill-fitting USTA hat, or my head is just severely misshapen.
Gotta be the hat.
Peter Groer won a
USTA mini-toweldeck of playing cards.
Stephen Hunter won a can of tennis balls.
And I won a 3-pack of HEAD racquet grips.
- Stay tuned for your Green Machine Team Tennis rosters and season preview. SUBSCRIBE, people, and the site will let you know when there is a new post. Plus, it saves me the trouble of emailing the link.